The .45 Auto pistol is a single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed handgun that utilizes .45 Auto ammunition. While the .45 AP improved sights modification was cut from the game, the sights are still present on the weapon's default model (pre- and post-modified versions). This gives the .45 Auto pistol luminescent sights, and can be used in dark areas.
Furthermore, it is considered an improved holdout weapon and can be taken into weapon-free locations with a Sneak skill of 50 or greater. It also has the highest base damage of any silenced holdout weapon once the AP silencer mod has been added.
The .45 Auto pistol can fire a total of about 745 standard rounds, the equivalent of 107 reloads, from full condition before breaking. When modded with the heavy duty slide, it can fire a total of about 1,120 standard rounds, the equivalent of 160 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ HD slide|
|Standard & HP||745||107||1120||160|
- .45 Auto pistol heavy duty slide – Increases weapon's condition by 50%.
- .45 Auto pistol silencer – Silences the weapon.
- A Light Shining in Darkness - a unique, customized pistol used by Joshua Graham.
- Joshua's Pistol Whippin' .45 - a unique non-playable variant used by Joshua Graham. It differs from A Light Shining in Darkness by being used as a melee weapon.
- Follows-Chalk's .45 Auto pistol - a unique version, used by Follows-Chalk. It only differs from the standard pistol in its use of companion ammunition and possession of unmodified iron-sights.
|Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second|
|Area of effect damage||Effect damage & duration|
|Bonus effects||Attacks per second|
|Critical chance % multiplier||Critical damage|
|Critical effect damage & duration||With all mods attached|
|Attacks in V.A.T.S.||Action point cost|
|Damage per action point||Weapon spread|
|Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Weight||Value in caps|
|Value to weight ratio||Skill required|
|.45 Auto pistol||29||79.8||2.75||x1||29||17||1.7||0.8||7||745||1.5||1750||1166.7||25||3|
|.45 Auto pistol||29||79.8||2.75||x1||29||17||1.7||0.8||7||1120||1.5||1950||1300||25||3|
|A Light Shining in Darkness||33||144.4||4.38||x2||33||15||2.2||0.55||6||1245||1.2||4500||3750||75||3|
- It can be purchased from the Gun Runners, Great Khans, Chet in the Goodsprings general store after returning to the Mojave Wasteland. The Gun Runners will have a 98% condition gun every three in-game days, also Gun Runners will restock attachments for .45 Auto pistol every three in-game days.
- It can be purchased from Joshua Graham. Two or three of them will reappear in his inventory after he arrives at the Sorrows' camp.
- Four in poor condition can be stolen from Joshua Graham's desk in Angel cave. One in good condition is in a footlocker.
- Some of these are used by tribals in Zion.
- One is given as a reward in perfect condition by completing the quest Bighorners of the Eastern Virgin.
- According to Joshua Graham, it is based on a nearly 400-year-old design and receiving one is a New Canaanite rite of passage.
- The .45 Auto pistol shares its firing sounds with the 9mm pistol and submachine gun.
Behind the scenes
The pistol's firepower was improved to balance weapons in the game as opposed to align with their real-world calibers.[Dev 1]
- weapon repair kit on it, the weapon stops degrading from use and can continue to be repaired past 100% increasing its value and condition. [verified] If both mods are attached and you use a
- Mojave Wasteland. [verified] Sometimes, when both modifications are attached to the .45 Auto pistol, it will not show in first person or third person view while in the
- If loading a saved game from the main menu in which you have the .45 Auto pistol equipped and drawn, the reload animation takes twice as long as normal. This can be solved by switching to another weapon, then back again. [verified]
- Sometimes when aiming down the sight while in the first-person view, the gun will disappear entirely. Switching to another weapon, then back seems to fix the issue. [verified]
- ED-E repairs the weapon with both modifications, the condition will actually degrade instead of improving. [verified] Sometimes, when
.45 Auto pistol in the perk image for The Way of the Canaanite
.45 Auto pistol in the achievement image for O Daughter of Babylon
- Courier: "Nice guns."
Joshua Graham: "In the Great Basin and Colorado Plateau, all tribes are known for a specific weapon. White Legs are known for their big submachine guns, 'storm drums.' They broke into an armory near Spanish Fork and have been using them for years. Of course, the Dead Horses have their wooden war clubs and even the Sorrows have their Yao Guai gauntlets. This type of .45 Automatic pistol was designed by one of my tribe almost four hundred years ago. Learning its use is a New Canaanite rite of passage."
(Joshua Graham's dialogue)
- Comment: "The Devs in New Vegas actually tried to balance weapons based on the power of their real-world calibers, which is why they buffed 10mm, added 9mm as a replacement low-tier ammo, and got rid of .32 entirely (Because it was completely ludicrous)."
Joshua Sawyer: "The exception to this was .45 Auto (ACP). To make it appealing as a mid-tier semi-auto caliber between 10mm and 12.7mm with a 7 round magazine, I had to give it TRUE TALES OF THE 1911 stats. I still feel slightly bad about it, but people like Last Man Standing-style .45s that throw guys 20' through the air, so..."
(Fallout: New Vegas developer statements/Weapons; Joshua Sawyer: .45 balancing, 2013 February 7)