Cleanup (Issue: references for developer need to be in new format and placed on Fallout: New Vegas developer statements page)
This content or section requires cleanup. Please help us improve the article!
A unique variant of the .45 Auto pistol with a shortened barrel, it features etched text "καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει" on the right side and "καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν" on the left side.
Like most unique weapons, weapon modifications cannot be added to this firearm. Compared to its standard counterpart, it has greater DPS, less spread, greater critical chance and damage, a greater rate of fire and greater durability, albeit having one less round in the magazine. Unlike the .45 Auto pistol, when aiming down the trench sights, the weapon zooms in more than a regular, un-scoped pistol, making longer-range encounters much easier. As with the .45 Auto pistol, it is considered an improved holdout weapon, and can be concealed and taken into weapon-free locations so long as the player character's Sneak skill is 50 or greater.
A Light Shining in Darkness can fire a total of about 1,245 rounds, the equivalent of 208 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Standard & HP||1245||208|
- .45 Auto pistol - the standard variant found throughout Zion Canyon, and purchasable from merchants in the Mojave Wasteland after the completion of Honest Hearts.
- A Light Shining in Darkness (non-player character) - A unique playable variant used by Joshua Graham. It differs from the standard variant by having 50 base and crit damage, 2x crit chance and a min spread of 0.35. It also uses the same Pip-Boy icon as the 9mm pistol.
- Joshua's Pistol Whippin' .45 - a unique non-playable variant used by Joshua Graham. It differs from the standard variant by being used as a melee weapon.
- Follows-Chalk's .45 Auto pistol - a unique variant used by Follows-Chalk, a Dead Horses tribal and companion to the Courier. It only differs from the standard pistol in its use of companion ammunition, and possession of the standard iron-sights.
|Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second|
|Area of effect damage||Effect damage & duration|
|Bonus effects||Attacks per second|
|Critical chance % multiplier||Critical damage|
|Critical effect damage & duration||With all mods attached|
|Attacks in V.A.T.S.||Action point cost|
|Damage per action point||Weapon spread|
|Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Weight||Value in caps|
|Value to weight ratio||Skill required|
|.45 Auto pistol||29||79.8||2.75||x1||29||17||1.7||0.8||7||745||1.5||1750||1166.7||25||3|
|.45 Auto pistol||29||79.8||2.75||x1||29||17||1.7||0.8||7||1120||1.5||1950||1300||25||3|
|A Light Shining in Darkness||33||144.4||4.38||x2||33||15||2.2||0.55||6||1245||1.2||4500||3750||75||3|
It is carried by Joshua Graham and can be retrieved if he is killed. Alternatively, it can be found in a footlocker at the Southern Passage in Zion Canyon after completion of the Honest Hearts main questline.
- Although it does not have luminescent sights like the standard .45, the frame of the gun will glow, even in complete darkness.
- It is the lightest handgun in the game, and is one of the four affected by the Pack Rat perk, the others being the .45 Auto pistol, the 9mm pistol, and Maria.
- It is the smallest pistol in the game.
Behind the scenes
- Joshua Sawyer stated that the weapon is "loosely based on various 'Officer'-sized compact M1911s, though a compact M1911 like that should probably have a reversed recoil plug."[Dev 1] He also stated, "The Colt New Agent is the closest equivalent" and that "One detail we did not reproduce in-game is the reversed recoil plug (found on many, if not all, Officer-length M1911s)."[Dev 2]
- The phrases engraved on the slide of the pistol are Greek and translate as "and the light shines in the darkness" followed by "and the darkness did not grasp it." They refer to John 1:5 in the Bible.[Ext 1]