The .357 Magnum revolver is a single action revolver that fires .357 Magnum and .38 special rounds. The .357 cannot jam, and can be interrupted mid-reload due to it being loaded one bullet at a time. It is considered an improved holdout weapon, allowing it to be concealed and taken into weapon-free locations with 50 or greater Sneak skill. The revolver is visually worn, though it remains a serviceable weapon.
The .357 Magnum revolver can fire a total of about 995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 166 reloads, from full condition before breaking. When modded with the heavy duty cylinder, it can fire a total of about 1,495 standard rounds, the equivalent of 250 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ HD cylinder|
|Standard, HP & JFP||995||166||1495||250|
- .357 Revolver Long Barrel - increases the weapon's damage by 3.
- .357 revolver heavy duty cylinder - increases the weapon's durability by 50%.
- Lucky - A unique .357 revolver that can be found in a Hard locked safe in the Bison Steve Hotel in Primm.
- Police pistol - A smaller revolver that can be repaired with .357 Magnum revolvers.
|Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second|
|Area of effect damage||Effect damage & duration|
|Bonus effects||Attacks per second|
|Critical chance % multiplier||Critical damage|
|Critical effect damage & duration||With all mods attached|
|Attacks in V.A.T.S.||Action point cost|
|Damage per action point||Weapon spread|
|Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Weight||Value in caps|
|Value to weight ratio||Skill required|
|.357 Magnum revolver||26||45.5||1.75||x1||26||26||1||0.5||6||995||2||110||55||0||3|
|.357 Magnum revolver||29||50.8||1.75||x1||26||26||1.1||0.5||6||1495||2||810||405||0||3|
- Aerotech Office Park - In the locked (difficulty is level dependent) bathroom in Aerotech suite 300.
- Black Mountain - On the body of a dead NCR trooper, located on the road leading up to the summit.
- Goodsprings has an abundance of .357 Magnum revolvers. Trudy, Chet, Easy Pete, Goodsprings settlers and Joe Cobb all carry one, and an additional one can be stolen from a glass behind the bar in the Prospector Saloon.
- Goodsprings Cemetery - One might spawn in one of the graves, a shovel is needed to dig it out.
- Gun Runners - The Vendortron sells them.
- HELIOS One - Lieutenant Haggerty carries one.
- Klamath Bob's Liquor Store, Westside - Behind the counter along with some ammunition.
- Monte Carlo Suites - On the body of a dead gambler, located in the ruins to the east.
- Nipton - One can be found on the bottom shelf of a workbench inside one of the houses.
- During the quest Birds of a Feather, the suicide bomber carries one.
- Kings members might carry one.
- Powder Gangers might also carry one.
- Sold by merchants at low levels.
- Private Morales carries one.
- Hopeville Missile Base - In a sewer pipe next to a Duffle bag running under the road leading into the base from the direction of the Hopeville Missile Silo Bunker map marker.
- Hopeville Missile Base Headquarters - Inside of a bathroom in the lobby next to a skeleton.
- It is held by an NCR Veteran Ranger in the main title screen and many promotional images.
- Unlike most other revolvers, the .357 Magnum will not jam. This is because the latter has a "No Jam After Reload" flag set.
Behind the scenes
- If ammo type is changed to a type of ammunition that one has less than six of and the ammunition type loaded before changing had six loaded then the player character will continue to play the reload animation forever. [verified]
- Occasionally when using the .357 Magnum in V.A.T.S., one will stand still and do nothing. This bug is shared by all .357 Magnum variants and other weapons that are reloaded on a round-by-round basis, such as the brush gun, cowboy repeater, and the hunting shotgun. [verified]
- This gun is affected by the reloading glitch, meaning it can be changed to load a certain ammo and be completely filled by loading only one round.[verified]
- When reloading and running in third person, the cylinder will remain open, to fix this, switch to first person and back, or wait for the game to close the gate.[verified]
- This revolver can be used to do the reload dash glitch, this glitch can be used to obtain the highest possible running speed and get to otherwise unreachable locations in vanilla Fallout: New Vegas.
.357 Magnum Revolver in the Cowboy perk
- Question: "Hey, something that I've wanted to know, what gun is the .357 magnum in FNV based on, the Single Action Army, or one of the many variants/knockoffs of it? Any specific one in particular?"
Sawyer: "It's essentially a Colt SAA, but I think the artist, Mitch Ahlswede, used a few different guns for reference."
JE Sawyer on Formspring (Archived)