|For the Silver Shroud franchise, see The Silver Shroud (franchise).|
For the character himself, see Silver Shroud.
|Side quest: The Silver Shroud|
|Listen to Silver Shroud Radio station in or around Goodneighbor.|
|Go to the Memory Den in Goodneighbor.|
Talk to Kent Connolly and accept his request.
|Travel to Hubris Comics|
Recover the Silver Shroud Costume and Silver Shroud Hat.
|Talk to Kent in the Memory Den.|
Become the Silver Shroud.
|Reward: ??? caps|
|Give the Silver Shroud Photo to Kent.|
|Reward: 75 caps|
|Give the Silver Shroud script to Kent.|
|Reward: 125 caps|
|Give the Silver submachine gun prop to Kent.|
|Reward: 120 caps|
|Listen to the Silver Shroud Radio Station in Goodneighbor.|
Find, kill, and leave a Silver Shroud calling card as the Silver Shroud on the three murderers Connolly describes.
|Go to the National Guard Training Yard.|
Kill Shelly Tiller.
|Reward: 500 caps in a dead drop outside Goodneighbor.|
|Meet with Hancock as the Silver Shroud.|
|Kill Smiling Kate and Northy.|
Search their bodies for clues.
|Return to the Memory Den to find Kent gone.|
|Listen to the Silver Shroud radio.|
|Travel to Milton General Hospital.|
Optional: save Kent.
|Return to Hancock.|
|Reward: 450+ XP|
Silver Shroud Costume upgrades (if Kent survives)
After listening to Silver Shroud Radio near Goodneighbor, the quest will be added. Go to the Memory Den and speak to Kent Connolly and agree to find the Silver Shroud Costume. A Persuasion check can be passed to get some caps upfront.
Acquiring Silver Shroud items
Head to Hubris Comics. Upon reaching the second floor, a Silver Shroud Photo can be found in a display case which can be given to Kent as well as the Silver Shroud script, found on the third floor next to the producer's terminal. On the top floor, in the studio behind the backdrop, the Silver submachine gun prop can be found. The Silver Shroud Costume is on the mannequin. Returning to Kent, the Sole Survivor will receive up to 320 bottlecaps for the memorabilia. He will then offer the player character the suit, gun, and a few stimpaks after a Persuasion check. One can decline the offer, which will leave the quest open with the objective, "talk to Kent."
Conversely, the offer can be accepted, after which Kent gives the player character instructions to listen to Silver Shroud Radio station while in Goodneighbor. Wearing the Silver Shroud costume results in a new "Speak as the Shroud" response option during dialogue.
While in Goodneighbor, listen to the radio to obtain the first target, Wayne Delancy, who is located behind the Hotel Rexford. Wayne is not immediately hostile. One will have the option of asking Wayne about the murder while speaking as the Shroud, which Wayne will confess to. The confession can also be coerced by threatening him. Regardless of the approach, Wayne must be killed and a Silver Shroud calling card must be left on his corpse.
The next target is AJ, near Bobbi No-Nose's place, who is accused of selling chems to children. AJ has two bodyguards with him, but he and his party are not immediately hostile. AJ gives the option to take a bribe to leave him alone. One can either kill AJ and leave a calling card, or accept the bribe (50, 75, 90 or 200 caps) depending on the level of Persuasion.
Once AJ has been handled, the next target is Kendra. To reach her, ask Whitechapel Charlie in the Third Rail where she is. He'll ask for money but speaking like the Silver Shroud or passing a speech check will convince him to give the info for free, with Charlie advising that she can be found in Water Street apartments just south of Goodneighbor. Kendra will tell the Sole Survivor that they are in over their head before attacking. Leave the calling card on her remains. Kendra also has a contract to kill Shelly Tiller at the National Guard Training Yard, which if completed, the reward can be collected just outside of Goodneighbor.
Upon returning to Goodneighbor, the radio station will broadcast that John Hancock wants to meet with the Silver Shroud. Go to the meeting and he will task the Shroud with taking down Northy and Smiling Kate, who all work for Sinjin.
At Smiling Kate's quest marker she can be overheard plotting with some of Sinjin's men. None of them are immediately hostile, so it is possible to talk with her as the Shroud. At Northy's quest marker near Prospect Hill, all targets are immediately hostile. Leave calling cards on their bodies. The last target to be eliminated will have the Find the Silver Shroud holotape, which reveals Sinjin has targeted Kent. The abduction can be heard on Silver Shroud Radio, or Irma will tell the Sole Survivor when they return to the Memory Den.
Sinjin has taken Kent to Milton General Hospital. Sinjin will not immediately be hostile. If the Sole Survivor speaks as the Shroud three times, the raiders that accompany him will flee. The Sole Survivor can then kill Sinjin before he shoots Kent. If Kent survives, he can be persuaded to continue to broadcast the Silver Shroud. Return to Goodneighbor and speak with Hancock to collect the reward. Talking with Kent again, he says that he will work up another job for the Silver Shroud later which will give a better version of the Silver Shroud costume.
This content is missing required information or game data. Please help us improve the article!
- Kent Connolly
|Tell Kent the Commonwealth is a nightmare||?||?|
|Tell Kent there is a glimmer of hope among the chaos||?||?|
|Telling Kent the Sole Survivor will keep the costume for themselves||?||?|
|Speak in support of Kent bringing the Silver Shroud to life||?||?|
|Call Kent nuts when he speaks about bringing the Silver Shroud to life||?||?|
|Humor Kent when he speaks about bringing the Silver Shroud to life||?||?|
|Telling Kent to believe in himself after the costume has been retrieved||?||?|
|Tell Kent to quit after being rescued from Sinjin||?||?|
|Be supportive of Kent after rescuing him from Sinjin||?||?|
|Speak as the Shroud when bribed||?||?|
|Ask AJ for a bribe||?||?|
|Accept AJ's bribe||?||?|
|Threaten AJ when bribed||?||?|
|Tell Hancock that Sinjin is "his problem, not yours"||?||?|
|Tell Hancock that you are "up for some community service"||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Tell Kendra that Wayne got what was coming to him||?|
|Speak as the Shroud||?|
|Tell Sinjin that the player character doesn't care about Kent||?||?|
|Tell Sinjin that having friends is not a weakness||?||?|
|Speak as the Shroud after Sinjin threatens to kill Kent||?||?|
|Threaten Sinjin after Sinjin threatens to kill Kent||?||?|
|Ask Kent what to do after Sinjin threatens to kill him||?||?|
|Ask Sinjin to spare Kent||?||?|
|Kill Kent to scare Sinjin||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Scare Sinjin's men||?||?|
|Keep Kent alive||?||?||?||?||?|
|Tell Kent to keep fighting||?||?||?||?||?|
|Tell Kent to retire||?||?||?||?||?|
- Kent locks himself in his room while the quest is in progress from the point of the first target being given.
- Hancock has two different versions of the dialogue in which he warns about Sinjin. If he is available as a companion, it will default to the second version, which is shorter and assumes he has been traveling with the player character to kill Kent's targets even if he has not. Hancock's affinity can only be affected by the second dialogue, despite the responses being similar to those in the first version, and even if this dialogue is carried out in a settlement full of the other companions. Further, to initiate the dialogue and continue the quest, Hancock must be the active companion, then selecting "Talk," thus the first version can never be obtained if The Big Dig has advanced far enough. Talking to Hancock as The Shroud is only possible in the first version.
- Furthermore, if one has already completed The Big Dig and refused Hancock as a companion, he will not provide the dialogues necessary to complete The Silver Shroud. Upon trying to talk to him, he will only prompt the player character to let him travel with them. In order to complete The Silver Shroud, one will have to accept him as a companion or use console commands.
- Nick and Curie may be sent to the Memory Den in accordance with Dangerous Minds and Emergent Behavior (which requires completing 'Dangerous Minds' but Nick will remain in the Den until he is spoken to). Since they share reactions to dialogue with Kent, it is possible to affect both of their affinities together via dialogue. This is one of the few quest scenarios where the affinity of multiple characters can be affected.
- To keep the memorabilia, return to Hubris Comics and collect it after Kent returns the suit, or refuse Kent's initial offer to take the suit.
- There is a Novice locked safe in the building Northy is waiting at.
- After completing the quest, the Silver Shroud radio will become inactive, except if Kent survives to the completion of the quest. He will contact the player character and offer to upgrade the Silver Shroud costume to provide armor bonuses. He will do this a maximum of three times at character level 25, 35, and 45. The bonuses acquired each time are:
- Shroud Costume: Reduces damage from humans by 15% - Agi: +1/Per: +1 / Wgt: 7
- Lvl 25: 57 Ballistic, 57 Energy, 0 Radiation
- Lvl 35: 70 Ballistic, 70 Energy, 0 Radiation
- Lvl 45: 87 Ballistic, 87 Energy, 0 Radiation
- Once the last of these upgrades has been received, the Silver Shroud station will no longer broadcast.
- It is not required to place the Silver Shroud calling cards on the bodies of Smiling Kate, Northy and Sinjin.
- Speaking as "The Shroud" only requires the costume to be equipped, but not the hat.
Behind the scenes
- Entering the hospital with Targeting HUD enabled may cause the raiders to execute him instantly, failing that part of the quest. Unequipping the modded helmet until Kent is safe will avert the issue while allowing the use of other power armor throughout the hospital.[verified]
- Hotel Rexford and sleeping for a night.[verified] On rare occasions the quest dialogue with Kent will not start. It can be fixed by going to
- On rare occasions, the quest will stop progressing after one has killed AJ. The next objective is to listen to the Silver Shroud radio in Goodneighbor, but the radio will only broadcast the regular episodes. This problem can be fixed by independently locating and killing Kendra. She will be non-hostile even if all the raiders in the building have been killed. The Sole Survivor can talk to her, and she will become hostile after that.[verified]
- SetStage 00027556 599.[verified] After killing Kendra, if her body is moved by holding E, the option to leave the Silver Shroud calling card will bug out. You can move forward with the console command
- Hancock will stop the progression of the quest with a Deal with Bobbi loop if the player character spared or killed Bobbi after The Big Dig quest and refused Hancock to be a companion on "Meet with Hancock as the Shroud". This can be fixed by adding Hancock as a companion, and then talking to him as the companion.[verified]
- After saving Kent from Sinjin, he may become stuck in the hospital in the same location he was held prisoner. Speaking to Kent about the upgrades before he returns to Goodneighbor is a possible cause. Kent will still upgrade the armor after his radio broadcast airs, but the player character will have to fight through whatever spawns in the hospital to get to him. A possible fix is pushing him into the elevator (crouching makes pushing him to go a lot faster) and then going up a floor (though just leaving him there might also work). He'll walk himself back to Goodneighbor after that, meeting the player character along with Hancock.[verified]
- The player character may not be able to trigger the quest dialogue with Hancock if he is an available companion. A possible fix is to make Hancock the active companion and equip the Silver Shroud outfit. Quest dialogue starts after using "Talk" choice. Using console commands can skip the dialogue, too.[verified]
- "Search body for clues" may not check off after searching Northy's body leaving the player character with a quest blip over his body. However, the player character may progress through the rest of the quest regardless.[verified]
- setstage MS04 600 to advance to the stage immediately after hearing the broadcast, which is to meet with Hancock.[verified] After killing Kendra (and optionally Shelly) one will be tasked with listening to Silver Shroud Radio for an update. It's possible that this update won't actually play, and the quest will be perpetually stuck. Use the console command
- setstage MS04 1400.[verified] If one cannot finish the quest by talking to Hancock after having killed Sinjin, use the console command
After killing Wayne Delancy and leaving the calling card on his corpse, Kent may not inform the player character of the next target over the radio and the quest objective will not change from "Listen to Silver Shroud radio." This can be fixed by finding AJ and killing him. This causes the quest to continue as normal.[verified]
- A similar situation can arise if one turns off the radio during Kent's radio message (There's a point in the middle where it sounds like the message is over). Both situations can be progressed past by using the console command setstage MS04 450 which sets the quest stage to the one after hearing the message. This, as opposed to just finding and killing AJ, allows for initiating the dialogue with him.
- Upon entering the hospital Kent is killed instantly. This may be prevented if the player leaves their power armor prior to entering. This is due to a known bug in which the targeting HUD, if installed in power armor helmets, will turn some neutral mobs hostile, including Sinjin's bodyguards.[verified]
- tai can be used to temporarily disable enemy AI before entering the hospital, and turning it back on when reaching Sinjin.[verified]
Clearing Milton General Hospital before the Silver Shroud quests can cause the hospital interior to respawn with robots in addition to the raiders. Upon exiting the second elevator, the robots and raiders will become hostile towards each other, causing Kent to be killed before the player has a chance to reach him. By utilizing the advanced locked door on the first floor, the player may be able to avoid this outcome. On PC, the console command
- Another fix for this bug is to use a suit of power armor equipped with a Jetpack modification, and then enter the hole in the hallway ceiling, from there both Protectrons can be destroyed and the quest can continue like normal.
- Picking up the holotape off Northy's body and trying to listen to it while still in combat will cause the 'You cannot use this in combat' message to appear and the "Search the body for clues" marker to now follow the player until the quest is finished.[verified]
- After speaking to Irma about Kent's kidnapping, the objective will update to "Listen to Silver Shroud station." This objective disappears after one saves and reloads, even if it has not yet been completed.[verified]
- If the player can choose Hancock as a follower the quest stops if Hancock isn't the follower.[verified]
- When the player character proceeds to kill one of the targets, sometimes they will place the card too fast, and the game bugs and does not continue the quest. One can fix this by just continuing on from the quest instead of bothering about that part.
- Emil Pagliarulo on Twitter: "I created the character of the Silver Shroud, wrote all the radio plays. Most of the quest was done by designer Ferret Baudoin."