Cleanup (Issue: needs references)
This content or section requires cleanup. Please help us improve the article!
”— Lee Oliver
Fortification Hill or The Fort, is the base of Caesar's Legion on the east bank of the Colorado River. Here, the Legion prepares for its second assault on the NCR at Hoover Dam. This is also the location where the Platinum Chip is used to install the upgrades to the securitrons, as the Fort is built above Mr. House's secret bunker. Caesar is stationed here, along with his Praetorian guards and Legion forces preparing for the upcoming battle.
To reach the Fort, the Courier must use the barge at Cottonwood Cove. However, it cannot be taken until certain events take place in-game. The Courier must either be invited when exiting The Tops after completing Ring-a-Ding-Ding! (by Vulpes Inculta, who will be waiting outside, or by Alerio if the player character has already killed Vulpes, eliciting a comment from Alerio), or when For the Republic, Part 2 has been completed to the point when one must report to Colonel Moore to inform her that the Great Khans have been dealt with.
On either side of the entrance are sleeping tents. To the north of the entrance past the tents is a small bar. In the center of the camp are the arena and Caesar's Tent. To the southwest, there are more tents, another bar, and the weather monitoring station, which includes Mr. House's secret bunker. Standing on top of the hill near the entrance will allow a view of other tents and structures off in the distance that cannot be visited.
If the Courier has not yet been invited, the guards at the Fort may be hostile. If they travel to Cottonwood Cove with Boone, Boone will immediately attack all legionaries on sight, causing them to turn on the player character (unless a Legion disguise is worn).
The Legion arena is a small pit made of walls of scrap metal put together to form a pit. Here the Courier, if male, can fight slaves and captured NCR soldiers to the death for the amusement of Caesar's legionaries. Females will be told they are not allowed to fight in the arena and will not have this option. The only exceptions are: choosing to kill Benny (if he hadn't been dealt with at The Tops) by fighting him in the arena, fighting Lupa the dog in the arena in order to earn her brain, as a part of the quest Render Unto Caesar, or as a part of the quest Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy.
- 500 surplus 5.56mm rounds - At the end of the northeast trench seen when first entering the fort.
- Lupa's brain - Lupa must be killed for her brain. Antony may be spoken to while standing beside her, to arrange an arena fight with Lupa, for the quest Nothin' But a Hound Dog. Alternatively, Lupa may be attacked where she stands, but it will turn everyone at the camp hostile. Lupa's brain increases Rex's DT by 10.
- Caesar's Armor - Worn by Caesar.
- Assuming he has not yet been killed by the player character, Benny will have his suit and Maria, a unique 9mm pistol.
- Legion slave ledger - On a table on the lefthand side of Caesar's Tent, in the righthand corner by some empty metal shelves.
- If choosing to fight Benny to the death in the arena, both participants will have machetes. He will have Maria on him when he is dead.
- The Legionary guarding the entrance to Mr. House's bunker pronounces Caesar with a soft "c" sound, unlike all the other Legionaries, who use a hard "k" sound.
- There is a Museum of Technology poster in the first room of the weather monitoring station.
- This location is actually far larger than the area that can be accessed. From various locations throughout the camp, one can see that the tents of the Legion stretch out far across the land surrounding the camp, though the gates to these areas are marked as "inaccessible."
- Lupa's dead body will remain in the arena unless her brain is removed.
- Blood spurts out of the training dummies when attacked with a power fist.
- There is a crucified trooper on the left upon entering the gate.
- The Legion has a strict policy of eradicating all use of drugs and alcohol among their men. Despite this, Legion officers and troops around the camp may be seen drinking beer.
- If everyone in the Fort is killed with Boone present, he will acknowledge the death of Caesar and will proceed with a conversation about it.
The Fort appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- If Vulpes Inculta is killed after the Mark is given, and then becomes vilified by the Legion before traveling to the Fort the first time, going there will result in random resets of the reputations with other factions in the game (at least on the map).[verified]
- You may not regain all your weapons upon leaving the Fort.[verified]
- After leaving Caesar's Tent, Cursor Lucullus may have disappeared, making it impossible to leave the fort or retrieve your equipment.[verified] This can be fixed on PC by simply using "Prid [Ref ID]" and then "Moveto player"
- If the player character leaves the Fort after having the Platinum Chip returned to them by Caesar, the guard will take the chip. If the player character returns to the Lucky 38 and kills Mr. House, the Platinum Chip will be added back to their inventory. Fast traveling back to the Fort will initiate the same dialogue as trying to leave with the Platinum Chip. Choose the option to stay and they will not confiscate any of one's items.[verified]
- Sometimes one will be randomly attacked by the guards when walking up to the tent.[verified]
- Sometimes the Praetorian guards in Caesar's Tent will randomly attack even if one has the Mark of Caesar.[verified]
- Cursor Lucullus to ask them if they are ready to leave.[verified] When the player character tries to leave the Fort by clicking on the gate, it will not trigger
- After following Benny to the Fort and choosing the option to crucify him, upon returning to the drawbridge it is possible to see two Bennys: One on the cross and another standing by it, the one standing by it can be talked to and untied. If he is untied, one will gain good Karma.[verified]
- Any ash piles left in the Fort will respawn their inventories upon returning, as will some non-ash pile corpses. Any normally killed soldiers may also spawn alive upon returning. Non-ash pile corpses also have a habit of vanishing not long after they have been killed, even if one does not leave the area.[verified]
- When exiting the Fort with a companion, unique weapons that were confiscated may be duplicated in the companion's inventory.[verified]
- If the player character has a weapon drawn when they fast travel to the Fort and are disarmed when asked by the guard, their hands will remain in the position that they would be in for the weapon that had been drawn, even though the weapon is absent. This can be fixed by pressing the reload button, which will bring up one's fists.[verified]
- Sometimes upon entering the Fort after wiping the Legion forces stationed there, a Powder Ganger will appear at the draw bridge. He will be hostile and will be wearing simple Powder Ganger armor with a stormchaser hat.[verified]
- For Auld Lang Syne may interrupt the dialogue with the legionary main gate guard where he asks the player character to disarm and relinquish banned items. If this happens, the conversation with the main gate guard will not start unless one talks to the guard yourself, and one will get to keep all weapons and banned items. One can even draw weapons or use said items in front of the Legion without them becoming hostile. [verified] When entering the Fort for the first time with Arcade Gannon in one's party, his scripted dialogue relating to