|For an overview of the topic, see Robotics Expert.
The perk grants an extra 25% damage dealt to robots. It also allows to permanently shut down robots, while in sneak mode and behind the target. Despite the perk's description, this can also be done when already in combat.
The perk affects the following robot types:
Additional dialogue options are unlocked with certain robots with this perk. These often bypass Speech checks:
- One can program Dean Dewey to let the player character pass.
- One can disable Cerberus's combat inhibitor causing him to attack everyone in the Underworld.
- One can force Button Gwinnett to shut down, allowing the Lone Wanderer to grab the Declaration of Independence.
- One can program Milo in the Nuka-Cola Plant to think the player character is an employee.
- One can bypass the RobCo Facility section of the Wasteland Survival Guide quest while getting full credit for the job.
- Mobile Base Crawler to have the security robots attack the Enclave instead of the Lone Wanderer. There is an additional dialogue with Stiggs where he tells about this when first entering the room. One can reprogram the mainframe in the
- A deactivated robot cannot be targeted in V.A.T.S. However, it can still take damage, and destroying it will give the same experience and loot as normal.
- Every attack on a deactivated robot while sneaking will register as a "sneak attack critical."
- Making physical contact with a deactivated robot while sneaking may still alert other robots in the vicinity to the player's presence.
- Automated Turrets are scripted as robots and can be disabled with this perk. While in many cases they are out of reach, ceiling-mounted turrets can be disabled if the player is able to reach them by jumping while crouched.
- When sneaking up on a robot with this perk, if "talk" is selected, it talks to the player character and does not attack. (e.g. a sentry bot, when the talk selection is selected, it will say "Do not interfere with security operations.")
- Sergeant RL-3 can be disabled with this perk.