“With this Perk, you have gained the attention of a Mysterious Stranger, who will appear to help you from time to time. If your ally is lost in combat, do not expect him or her to be replaced.”— Perk Description
Mysterious Stranger is a perk in Fallout.
Only in hostile random encounters, there is a chance that the character will gain a temporary ally in a leather jacket (male with a male character and female with a female character). The unidentified stranger's details depend on the player character's level.
The Mysterious Stranger remains on the map of the random encounter even after the end of the fight, until leaving. The stranger can be spoken to, but will not say much.
- If attacked, the Mysterious Stranger will attack back; however, they will be friendly again during the next hostile random encounter.
- The inventory of the Mysterious Stranger is different at each random encounter.
- If the Mysterious Stranger dies, they will never come back.
- The Mysterious Stranger perk in Fallout is stronger than in Fallout 2, since the Mysterious Stranger is already at their maximum statistics and their plasma rifle is more powerful in Fallout than the H&K G11 that the Fallout 2 equivalent has.
Behind the scenes
- The Mysterious Stranger perk was originally designed by Scott Bennie.
- There were several unfinished drafts of a book by Mark Twain titled "The Mysterious Stranger," in which the title character claims to be Satan's nephew, and which contain various references to the number 44.
The Mysterious Stranger with a hunting rifle actually spawns shotgun shells as ammunition instead of .223 FMJ.