Muggy is a neurotic, highly self-aware, sentient miniature Securitron made by Doctor 0. Muggy does not sport a policeman, broken, crazed, or soldier face, but rather his monitor screen displays an animated version of a smiling coffee cup. Muggy is programmed to have an obsession with coffee mugs and to be aware of this obsession, without being able to do anything about it.
Muggy harbors a deep-seated resentment of Dr. 0 for creating him as a mug-obsessed joke, compared to the larger Securitrons. He blames Dr. 0 for his creation and the subsequent futility of his existence, as Dr. 0 became a brain in a pod who no longer needs or drinks coffee, resulting in there being no new mugs for him to clean. Muggy is also angered by the idea of all the dirty dishes out in the Big MT area and beyond with nobody to clean them.
Muggy resents Dr. 0 so much, he hopes the Courier managed to kill the doctor in a satisfactory manner. If the Courier has discovered Higgs Village, in an ending of Old World Blues Muggy is said to accidentally lock himself there where he cleaned up the kitchens of the Think Tank professors but deliberately left 0's house dirty as a form of revenge.
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- All My Friends Have Off Switches: Muggy is one of the appliances that the Courier must retrieve a module for.
- Influencing People: An upgrade holotape for Muggy must be found and installed.
The player can submit various forms of kitchenware to Muggy via a dialogue option, who will return an associated miscellaneous item (s) as listed below.
|Ceramic dinner plate||Lead (20)|
Powder, Pistol (50)
|Coffee mug||Empty syringe (3)|
|Coffee pot||Scrap Metal (2)|
|Dinner plate||Scrap Metal (3)|
|Green plate||.357 Magnum case (10)|
.44 Magnum case (8)
|Red plate||Powder, Pistol (50)|
|Tin plate||.357 Magnum case(20)|
.44 Magnum case (15)
|White plate||Lead (20)|
After installing Muggy Upgrade: Parts Production, Muggy will provide the player the following once per day through a dialogue option: Energy Cell (50), Microfusion Cells (50), and Scrap Electronics (5)
- While Muggy can be targeted in V.A.T.S., he cannot be destroyed without the use of console commands, as no weapons deal any damage to him, nor is it possible to use the Robotics Expert perk to shut him down.
- Muggy is the only Sink character able to move around "freely" and thus the only one who shows up as a mark on the compass. In some cases, the tick mark does not appear.
- Muggy is the only recurring source of Pistol Powder outside of purchases.
- If the Sink's personality matrices are disabled by the Sink, Muggy still has his face on and will continue to move.
- Muggy is still affected by the fatigue damage dealt by boxing tape and the cattle prod, so he can be knocked unconscious. He can also be knocked unconscious with pulse slugs.
- Due to Muggy's ability to create empty syringes, the Courier is able to create hundreds of Stimpaks, in conjuncture with the biological research station's ability to convert plant matter into Salient Green, with a Science skill of 70 at the Workbench in The Sink.
- "Of course I'm obsessed! They made me this way! You think I don't know how crazy I sound? Of course I do! THEY PROGRAMMED ME TO KNOW THAT TOooo-arrr..."
- "Maybe you've seen some of those big imposing Securitrons with their lovely laser guns and rocket launchers and scary faces? I am not one of those."
- "You... you really want to know about... me? No one ever asks about Muggy! You've made me so happy!"
- "One time, the Biological research station told me he dropped a mug down his processing chute. When I reached in, he......seeded me!"
- "Mugs, Mugs, Mugs. Mugs, Mugs, Mugs. Mug-a-mug. Mug-a-mug. Mugs! God, why can't I stop singing this fucking song?!"
- "I love mugs so much, I just might kill myself!"
- "While you were out, I spent six hours trying to reach a coffee cup up on a shelf. When I finally got it down I was so happy, I cried... I hate my life!"
- "Do you know how many coffee cups giant robot brains in jars use on a daily basis? NOT FUCKING MANY!"
- "Of course you don't. Why would you? You're not an INSANE robot obsessed with coffee cups. To you they're just worthless junk!"
- "Please, please, please tell me you stomped Dr. 0's brain into a fine paste! Did he squeal? did he beg? God, I hope he begged! Who's the flatware bitch now, O?!"
Behind the scenes
- Muggy was written by Travis Stout, after Chris Avellone asked them to create a "tiny Securitron obsessed with coffee."[Dev 1]
- Muggy was originally intended to be a possible "full" companion, this idea was cut, due to lack of development time.[Dev 2]
- The Courier: "Who are you?"
Muggy: " Maybe you've seen some of those big, imposing Securitrons with their lovely laser guns and rocket launchers and scary faces? I'm not one of those. Dr. O was always jealous of House Industries, and he thought it would be fucking hilarious to build a tiny neurotic Securitron. Big fucking laugh. So, umm... you got any coffee cups for me now?"
- The Courier: "You seem really obsessed with mugs."
Muggy: "Of course I'm obsessed! They made me this way! You think I don't know how crazy I sound? Of course I do! They programmed me to know that, too! They made me just to torture me. But you know, it's the neglect that hurts the most. Do you know how many coffee cups giant robot brains in jars use on a daily basis? Not fucking many!"
- The Courier: "Mugs? Why do you want mugs?"
Muggy: "Why do want mugs? Huh? You some kind of sick mug hoarder? Oh god, give me the coffee cup, please! It's sitting there in your pack, me! "
- Muggy: "Please, please,
(Muggy's dialogue) tell me you stomped Dr. O's brain into a fine paste! Did he squeal? Did he beg? God, I hope he begged! "
- Old World Blues endings