Mark Teare is an artist who worked at Bethesda Softworks on Fallout 3, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta, Fallout 4, Automatron and Fallout 76 as an effects artist. He also served as the lead artist on Nuka-World.
Work on the Fallout series
For Fallout 3, Teare worked on effects in the base game and its add-ons Broken Steel, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta. On Broken Steel, he designed the VFX for Liberty Prime's destruction during Death From Above. On Point Lookout, he created the "muck bubbles" seen in swamps throughout the add-on. On Mothership Zeta, he created the generator and death ray VFX used during This Galaxy Ain't Big Enough...
For Fallout 4, he worked on texture remapping and constructing the new version of V.A.T.S., as well as the VFX for the Cannibal perk, the artillery piece explosions, the exploding oxygen tanks and crows. During an internal game jam, Teare developed Dogmeat's ability to wear dog armor, bandanas, and other clothing items, alongside Ryan Sears. He also designed the pre-War newscaster broadcast seen in the game's intro, as well as Vault-Tec lunchboxes, robot model kit parts and robot parts models, among other effects. After launch, Teare worked on the add-ons Automatron and Nuka-World. For Automatron, he designed combat effects for the robobrain, including the "smoke screen" and ensuring V.A.T.S. could not bypass the smoke.
Teare took on a larger development role during Nuka-World, for which he served as the lead artist. Alongside Justin Schram, Alan Nanes, and Angela Browder, he came up with the initial pitch for the add-on, and created key art as a visual tool for the DLC team during pre-production. He came up with Bottle and Cappy to serve as a stark contrast between the light-hearted theme park and the cruel, sadistic raider gangs. He led the environment team in prototyping landmarks and geometry for Nuka-World, as well as the character art team in designing the raiders, and provided feedback on outsourced art assets. He also directed the Nuka-World E3 teaser, and created lots of promotional material for the game, including screenshots and trailer footage. Some of the things he worked on for the add-on are listed in the Work on Nuka-World section.
For Fallout 76, he created the "confetti mess" effect for lunchboxes. The effect was first created for Fallout 4 during an internal game jam. Teare wanted to make a blood-free version of the game for his young children, so that they could see what their father had been working on. The effect replaced the blood and gore from killing enemies with confetti, and even included a voice-over of his son laughing, that replaced the gib sound effect. Other developers were somewhat creeped out by the comic violence and the kid laughter. However, the effect was later reworked into its Fallout 76 version, removing the laughter and applying it to the new lunchbox mechanic.
Work on Nuka-World
- Pack creature chairs
- Unique models and editor setup for the Nukatron
- Landscape water VFX
- Animatronic mannequins
- CRP development, leading to the creation of:
- Quantum mirelurk variants
- Water and VFX at the World of Refreshment
- Porter Gage's armor
- Technical assistance on the Nuka-Express sequence
- Weather color schemes
- Art direction for the park map and pamphlet
- Painted feral ghoul variants
- Gatorclaw and brahmiluff models
- Mr. Frothy meshes
- Western clothing and Magician's Tuxedo meshes
- Prototyping the original bloodworm concept and creating its VFX
- Assisting in the creation of the Acid Soaker and designing its VFX
- Texture variants for raider underarmor
- Trash pile loot system
- Concept and design for the paddle ball
- Electric VFX and concept for the fight with Colter
- Overboss power armor
- Concepts for the cave cricket and flying ant swarm
|2005||2008||Factor 5||Lead Artist|
|2009||Present||Bethesda Softworks||Senior Effects Artist|
|2008||Fallout 3||Effects Artist|
|2009||Broken Steel||Effects Artist|
|2009||Point Lookout||Effects Artist|
|2009||Mothership Zeta||Effects Artist|
|2015||Fallout 4||Effects Artist|
|2018||Fallout 76||Effects Artist|
|2007||Lair||Effects Artist/Character Modeler|
|2011||The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim||Effects Artist|
- Creation Kit profile
- "Fallout 3 Prime Death" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- Mark Teare on Tumblr: "The animation I was handed had Prime dragging himself across the ground and I wanted some way to show his scale and weight bu disturbing the ground. I had the idea to use a skinned mesh to have a trail of displaced dirt appear as he crawled by."
- "Fallout 3: Point Lookout DLC: Muck Bubbles" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta ...Death Ray VFX" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- Mark Teare on Tumblr: "Part one of my remapping work. Using the recoloring technique created for the particle system to recolor the diffuse map for lit assets. I had to start with the effect shader multiplied over a white lit shader with the normal map to mock up the functionality and learn to work in a way that eliminated the banding from this technique. I also had to use vertex painting driving the remapping to build in some of the localized dust present in the original texture."
- "Robobrain Combat Design" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Three Course Cannibal Meal" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- Mark Teare on Tumblr: "Artillery explosion for Fallout 4:) (Music by Sunny and Gabe)"
- "Fallout 4: OxygenTank VFX" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Fallout 4: Crows" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Decorating Dogmeat" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Fallout 4: TV Effects" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Fallout 4: Prewar TV VFX Outtakes" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Fallout 4 Lunchboxes and Robot Model Kits" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Fallout 4: Nuka-World DLC" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Nuka-World DLC: Key Art" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- Jeff Gardiner on Twitter
Elianora: "THE AMAZING LUNCHBOX CONFETTI EXPLOSION FOR BLOODY MESS AS AN ACTUAL PERK CARD WE CAN KEEP? I WANT IT TO NEVER END! <3"
Jeff Gardiner: "Thank @Markiepo0 for this ;)"
- "Fallout 4 : Confetti Mode" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Fallout 4: Confetti Mode" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Feral Ghoul Chair" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Fallout 4: Nuka-World Pack Gang Ghoul Chair" on Mark Teare's YouTube channel
- "Fallout 4: Nuka-World…Paddle Ball" on Mark Teare's Tumblr
- "Nuka-World Overboss Fight" on Mark Teare's Tumblr