Lost Hills is a location in Fallout. It is located four squares west and eight squares south of Vault 13. Claimed by soldiers led by Captain Roger Maxson shortly after the Great War, it is the headquarters of the Brotherhood of Steel.
In October 2077, Captain Roger Maxson led the Exodus of the remaining United States Army soldiers and their families at the Mariposa Military Base, and together they traveled toward the Lost Hills bunker. The group was frequently attacked by bands of marauders during their journey, and while the soldiers were protected by their power armor, their families and civilians were not, resulting in high casualties. The survivors formed the Brotherhood of Steel and claimed the bunker as their new home. Over time, they expanded and adapted it to fit their own needs, becoming a bastion of technology in a world that has lost centuries of technological development overnight.
Despite Captain Maxson's warnings, a faction led by Sergeant Allen took some weapons and equipment, and went to explore the ruins of the West Tek research facility in search of advanced technologies, only to never be heard from again. Ten years later, a group of Brotherhood knights was sent out from Lost Hills to search for them, but only found deserted ruins.
Located almost entirely underground, the only indication of the presence of this installation is a small, reinforced structure containing the primary access elevator. Two sentries in power armor stand guard at the entrance at all times. One of them, a man named Cabbot, gives the become an initiate quest.
Guard patrols in power armor routinely patrol the area around the bunker and the surrounding wastes. An encounter with them will result in thorough questioning and likely temporary arrest for trespassing on their land.
The first underground level contains the main supply room (filled to the brim with pre-War technology). The stockpile, while full of technology, is rather limited; every brother can withdraw only a single set of armor, while higher tier weapons are only given to those with special clearances from Senior Paladin Talus (or another high-ranking officer).
Opposite the storeroom is the training chamber, where initiates exercise and learn combat skills under the careful guidance of the best fighters of the Brotherhood. The head instructor has his quarters located near the training room. Two other facilities are also present on the level - Head Paladin Rhombus' office and quarters and the guardroom, where surface guards spend their time when off-duty.
The Vault Dweller can participate in several activities on this level, including:
- Watch the initiate hand-to-hand training session with brother Thomas for a 5% increase in Unarmed and Melee Weapons skills and 500 XP.
- Receive reward from Talus for rescuing the initiate; T-51b power armor is only available if Reputation is 16 or more.
- Get a set of Brotherhood armor and three ammunition units of the player character's choice from Michael (supposedly, it's a weekly issue, but can only do it once).
- Get the systolic motivator from Rhombus' office to fix the broken T-51b power armor unit on level 3.
- Raid the Brotherhood storeroom by lockpicking the door and slaughtering the Brotherhood (loot includes two sets of power armor).
Level 2 houses the living quarters for initiates, their classroom and the facility's medical lab. The youngest members of the organization spend their time here, studying to become either a knight or scribe, under the watchful eyes of higher-ranking members. Their quarters are quite cramped; up to twelve initiates share a room (or even more, if hot bunking is used), but fitted with all the necessary amenities.
The infirmary is well stocked with medical supplies and in 2161 it offered the best medical treatment across the entirety of New California. Apart from healing injuries and removing radiation and addictions for free, the Brotherhood's medical staff can perform human augmentation surgeries:
- ST: $2000, 3 weeks
- PE: $4000, 1 week
- EN: $3000, 1 week
- IN: $6000, 3 weeks
- AG: $5000, 3 weeks
The Vault Dweller can participate in the following activities:
- Get healed and de-radiated for free at the doctor.
- Receive augmentations from the good doctor (see above for pricing and recovery times).
Level 3 houses some of the Brotherhood's most important facilities; workshops, where technology is maintained and recreated by knights and the libraries, where scribes patiently study old blueprints and knowledge, preserving it for future generations. Their living quarters are also located on this level, design as spartan as the ones of the initiates, although less cramped - only three persons are quartered per room.
In 2161, Head Scribe Vree spends her time in the libraries, researching vital subjects for the Brotherhood. Even her quarters are located in the library itself.
Activities on this level include:
- Receive the autopsy report from Vree to gain an edge against the Master.
- Receive computer science training from Vree.
- Receive Rad-X from Vree.
- Receive the Brotherhood History holodisk from Sophia.
Unlike other members, the leaders of the Brotherhood each have their own quarters, sparsely furnished, ascetic even. Their conference room is located at the back of the auditorium.
The mainframe, processing and storage containing the collective knowledge of the Brotherhood, is located out of the way, behind the quarters, accessed through an airlock. It isn't guarded by anyone, unlike the elders' quarters and a meeting room.
On this level, the Vault Dweller can potentially:
- Receive the assignment to scout the Mariposa Military Base from John Maxson.
- Receive gear for the assignment from Mathia (sniper rifle, rocket launcher, laser pistol, power fist or ripper).
- Present the Mariposa report to the elders and receive Brotherhood support for the attack on the base (or to the Cathedral if a link between Mariposa and Cathedral is found).
- Knights and knight initiates wear Brotherhood armor and carry AK-112 assault rifles.
- Scribes and scribe initiates wear characteristic brown robes and use Wattz 1000 laser pistols.
- Paladins use T-51b power armor and employ heavy weapons.
- Elders wear easily identifiable blue robes with yellow lining and are unarmed.
- Become an initiate
- Rescue Initiate from the Hub
- Convince the Elders to send help
- Guard the caravans
- Scout the northern wastes
- Fix the broken T-51b power armor
- Receive training from Thomas
- Get Sophia some pulse grenades for Michael
- The background music is "Metallic Monks," which has been later used in locations throughout Fallout: New Vegas, including Freeside.
- In Fallout 3 during the Galaxy News Radio quest, after defeating the super mutant behemoth, one of the paladins will mention Lost Hills by saying "That should give the boys at Lost Hills something to think about."
Behind the scenes
- Lost Hills a real life location of the same name.
- According to the Fallout Bible, Maxson's group arrived at Lost Hills in November 2077,[Dev 1] and the bunker never became part of the New California Republic.[Dev 2]
- A variety of unused content can be found in the game files:
- An invasion ending, in which the super mutants would have marched against the Brotherhood and laid siege to Lost Hills. A traitor, Kedrick, would have assassinated the elders and sold the Brothers to the super mutants. Lost Hills would subsequently have been destroyed. An unused "Dead Brotherhood" map is still included and can be accessed via the main menu.
- Other cut elements include a few non-player characters (including a scribe mourning the Brotherhood's reluctance to explore "soft" sciences such as sociology or psychology), a romance subplot including Jennifer the paladin, another Michael-related subquest about pulse grenades and girls from lower levels and a day/night cycle in the bunker.
- Captain Maxson's diary
- Sophia's tape
- Ancient Brotherhood disk
- Cabbot: "Oh, well, in the Exodus, the Brotherhood split into two groups. The group that broke away robbed the others of some of the weapons an-and they went south. Then about ten years ago we sent out knights to look for them and all they found was ruins. No one knows what happened."
- I am a knight
- Cut dialogue for BoS paladins