|For Brotherhood of Steel Mojave chapter, see Hidden Valley Bunker.|
Hidden Valley is a location in the Mojave Wasteland, situated in a fenced-in area nestled between hills and rocks roughly northeast of the NCR Correctional Facility (NCRCF) and southeast of Sloan. The valley is home to numerous bark scorpions and remnants of the Mojave chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel that once occupied HELIOS One before being defeated by the NCR during Operation: Sunburst.
Hidden Valley is a USAF testing range containing several bunkers, and was abandoned before the Great War.[Pub 1] Signs on the roads and fences leading into and around the valley mark the boundaries of the complex. Prospectors who have returned from Hidden Valley have reported four bunkers, each with an intercom system that garners no response.[Pub 1] Others tell of seeing armored figures exiting the valley from within a raging sandstorm that seems to arrive every evening and stay for the night.[Pub 1] The area is protected by the DERVISH camouflage system which serves as a cloaking mechanism, protecting any high-ranking VIPs, in the safehouse bunkers underground. In the event that the location was threatened, the bunker's DERVISH camouflage system would make targeting the site impossible for automated systems.
Hidden Valley can be accessed via the road near Sloan and at the northwest and southeast corners where the fence is down. There are also small side paths, at least one of which is heavily inhabited by bark scorpions and the occasional giant radscorpion when going in the direction of scorpion gulch nearby. A hollowed-out rock with a heart and anti-bomb symbol painted on it will be directly in front of the player character when fast-traveling to Hidden Valley.
Inside the fenced area, four bunkers are spread around the perimeter of the area. Three of the four bunkers contain a large entry room with a locked door on the opposite side that leads to nowhere but may contain some notable loot.
The entry room has two skeletons on a sleeping mat with a bottle of wine and a suitcase, which suggests a sad story. There is also a campfire. The Easy locked door in this bunker hides a hundred 5mm rounds and anywhere between 20 and 24 5.56mm rounds.
Two grenade bouquets can be disarmed in the entrance hallway hanging from the ceiling, and a third is out of reach near the middle of the entry room. The entry room also contains a sleeping pad and a sack, along with a journal indicating that someone is using the bunker as a safe house. The Hard locked door here opens the way to three ammunition boxes, a mini nuke hidden under a tin plate, a steam gauge assembly and two pieces of scrap metal on the right, and some frag grenades and 5.56mm rounds on the left.
If the Courier enters the west bunker without Veronica as a companion, they will be assigned a task to remove an NCR ranger from this bunker. After dealing with the ranger OR making contact using Veronica OR answering the summons for ED-E, a trip-wire triggering the grenade bouquets will appear in the entry room door, along with more entry room grenade bouquets (one to the left can be disarmed). The entrance hall grenade bouquets previously mentioned will also respawn if disarmed earlier.
The fourth bunker, also known as the Hidden Valley Bunker, is the home of the Brotherhood of Steel. The bunker is marked by a small broken tree stump directly on top of the dome. It is not possible to gain access to the bunker without acquiring the holotape containing the passphrase from either the two dead Brotherhood of Steel paladins at the REPCONN Headquarters, the dead Brotherhood soldier near Black Mountain, or the two dead Brotherhood soldiers in a ditch on the artillery-battered area outside Nellis Air Force Base.
With the holotape and passphrase, an option will be given to say it into the intercom. Otherwise, the Very Hard lock can be picked. Alternatively, the door can be opened with Veronica present. Access can also be granted through the quest Wild Card: Side Bets or by advancing far enough in any storyline to be asked to interact with the Brotherhood of Steel.
- The south bunker will be empty when entered unless the Still in the Dark quest has been activated, which will cause the Ranger Dobson to appear within near the campfire.
- Going into the Brotherhood's bunker while wearing any type of NCR armor will automatically turn the entire bunker hostile, even with Veronica present.
- When entering the Brotherhood secure area using the passphrase, the NCR Ranger portion of the Still in the Dark quest will immediately start. All weapons and armor will be taken but will be given back once the task is completed.
- If the lock is picked, the Brotherhood soldiers will not be hostile, but when leaving the bunker again, all companions will be locked in the bunker, meaning the Very Hard locked door must be unlocked again to get them back. The only other way to get them back is after the completion of the Still in the Dark quest.
- If the self destruct system is detonated, the DERVISH camouflage system is disabled and smoke rises up out of the air shaft vents scattered around the bunkers.
- In the south bunker there are grenade bouquets hanging from both the ceiling at the bottom of the staircase, and in the center of the main room. If entering the bunker after receiving the related task as part of Still in the Dark, the traps will be gone.
- Four Brotherhood of Steel paladins will regularly go out on patrol between 1 AM and 3 AM, guarding the area near the bunker until just before dawn. If they are encountered leaving the inner bunker, the player character will be forced to start the Still in the Dark quest, unless the player character has Veronica in their party. If the player character talks with them at this point, they will speak as if they are already a member of the Brotherhood. If the player character dismisses Veronica at this point, the paladins will turn hostile.
Hidden Valley appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p. 401-403: "Hidden Valley: Hidden Valley is housed in the remnants of a USAF bunker near the heart of the valley. Abandoned even before the war, the area around the bunker is littered with junk. Signs on the roads and peaks leading into the valley warn that it is a USAF testing range and stretches of drooping wire fences form a pathetic barrier in post-apocalyptic times. Upon entering the outer region of the actual bunkers, surviving Prospectors have reported an eerie feeling, and four bunkers, each with an intercom and complete, almost deafening silence on the other side. Others tell of seeing armored figures exiting the Valley from within a raging sandstorm that seems to arrive every evening and stay for the night. The main entrance is from the south gates, at the end of the side road from Long 95 that passes north of the NCR Correctional Facility [5.15]. There are periodic breaks in the perimeter fence, including a large breach to the north."