Biomed Gel, biomedical gel, or biogel is a material mentioned across the Fallout Series.
Preservation and replacement involve the bio med gel being "cooked" so as to clear up any contamination the gel may have sustained during its time in storage, needing reactivation, or "sizzling" to reactivate brain function. The gel cost approximately $1000 per pint.
Bio med gel has alternative medical capabilities outside of its use for transplanted organic brains, as bio gel can also be used to regenerate injuries to damaged limbs and organs, as well as preserve them. This was seen with General Clifton's eye, which had been regenerated perfectly, and was able to bypass a retinal scanner.
Private First Class Dobbs was killed in battle but taken to Sierra Army Depot VI and submerged in this gel in order to experiment with its regeneration effects. It kept him alive, allowing him to be subsequently brought back to life. He then died due to Post-Cryogenic Syndrome which causes patients to completely dissolve once removed from the gel. It can only keep tissue preserved for so long before corrosive degradation occurs.
A cyberdog named Rex experiences brain degeneration due to the length of time it has been preserved in biogel. If a brain replacement is not found in time for a brain-assisted robot, the brain eventually dies ceasing the function of the machine.
- Sierra Army Depot, Level 3
- RobCo Research Center terminal entries; Brain replacement procedure
- RobCo Sales & Service Center terminal entries; Brain extraction terminal, Div03-BE-0112
- St. Aubin medical facility terminal entries; Core Research Progress Notes
- Courier: "Then surely you've taken into account the corrosive effects of long-term exposure to biogel."
Brain Tank: "[SUCCEEDED] Of course I accounted for that! Do you think I'm so stupid... no, you're right. Maintaining my current functionality will be harder than I thought. This bears some further looking into."
(Brain Tank's dialogue)
- Courier: "Something's wrong with my cyber-dog. I was told to come to you."
Doctor Henry: "It's neural degradation. Bio med gel can only preserve a living brain for so long, so you'll need to find a replacement. I haven't left Jacobstown in years, but there was one woman in Novac... Gibson? I remember her living with a pack of hounds. Aside from her, I know that the Fiends and Caesar's Legion fight alongside dogs. There could be viable specimens among them, if you can get to them."
- Slide 19: Rex, Ending 2: "Having never received a replacement brain, Rex finally succumbed to old age, abruptly shutting down forever one quiet morning. After two centuries of life and decades of service to humanity, Rex collapses and dies."