He was born in 2267 to Lady Jessica Maxson and a high ranking paladin, Jonathan. His father was killed in battle outside the New California Republic, and his mother sent an infant Arthur east to be raised by Elder Owyn Lyons due to an unsafe environment caused by internal conflicts.[Pub 1]
Arthur was an attentive student that studied the Brotherhood's history. He observed a Behemoth from the Citadel walls and quoted the Codex when meeting outsiders. He was trained in combat by Sentinel Sarah Lyons, who on one occasion showed him how to kill people by stabbing them in the kidneys. He was barred from patrols due to accidentally shooting Lyons during an outing and Elder Lyons ordered Maxson be restricted from the Bailey while live fire practice was in effect. During his free time at the Citadel, he wished to befriend Liberty Prime and snuck into Paladin Vargas room to read their copy of Guns and Bullets since he wouldn't give it to him otherwise.
At the age of 12, he killed two raiders on a training patrol, saving the squad that was supposed to escort him. At 13, he killed a deathclaw and received a scar on his face. He killed the super mutant leader named Shephard at the age of 15, who was trying to reorganize the remnants of the Capital Wasteland super mutant infestation.
At the age of 16, he brokered a peace with the Brotherhood Outcasts, re-integrating them into the Brotherhood of Steel. Maxson was subsequently appointed elder, the youngest in Brotherhood of Steel history, and now leads the Brotherhood's forces from the Prydwen. Proctor Quinlan maintains the records of Maxson's history, and notes that he is "assisted, even enhanced, by advanced technology" but is "still very much human."
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
T-60f power armor (Airship Down only)
- "Oh, well... You see, I am descended from the great Roger Maxson, founder of our order. I am the last of his line. They say my soul was forged from eternal steel, but I don't believe that. I'm really just a normal boy."
- "Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself, it says."
- "I did go out one time, you know! Sarah... Um... Sentinel Lyons took me out. Just to show me. I killed a Super Mutant, too! I swear! I, um... I also sort of shot Sarah. But just a little! It was just a flesh wound..."
- "You truly have become one of us, sister/brother."
- "Our mission in the Commonwealth is clear: the Institute and its creations need to be destroyed in order to preserve our future. Which leaves me facing the most difficult order I've ever given."
- "BTherefore, the Institute and their "synths" are considered enemies of the Brotherhood of Steel, and should be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. This campaign will be costly and many lives will be lost. But in the end, we will be saving humankind from its worst enemy... itself. Ad Victoriam!"
- A child-aged Arthur may grab a bottle of whiskey or beer from around the Citadel and drink it, similar to other characters.
- It is impossible to pickpocket Maxson, even with the level 4 Pickpocket perk.
- When fighting Maxson during Airship Down, there is a possibility of gaining a unique power armor frame called "Elder Maxson's Power Armor" by shooting the fusion core out of his suit. This has no unique effects, but it is one of only two named power armor frames in the base game, the other being that of Knight Sergeant Gavil.
- Several concept art drafts of Maxson's appearance can be seen in The Art of Fallout 4. His name is spelled "Maxon."
- The description of the Elder's battlecoat item in Fallout 76 is "the coat of the Brotherhood Elders."
- Maxson's character description in Fallout Shelter Online states his rank as "High Elder" as opposed to just "Elder".
His terminal designation is "MX-001E."
Behind the scenes
The T-60 Power Armor Maxson wears during Airship Down is the only suit that can be found already upgraded to the highest tier (F), and has a unique paint job. If one decides to recolor the armor parts after acquiring them, they cannot be reverted back. It can be added to their inventory with console command player.additem 197994.
Arthur Maxson in the launch trailer
From The Art of Fallout 4
Maxson Fallout: Wasteland Warfare figurine
Maxson's hero card in Fallout Shelter Online
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p. 98: "Squire Arthur Maxson: Squire Maxson is a descendant of the legendary Roger Maxson, founder of the Brotherhood of Steel. His father, a high-ranking Paladin serving just outside the N.C.R. (New California Republic), was recently killed in battle, and his mother, the Lady Maxson, sent the boy east to be raised under the tutelage of the respected Elder Lyons. Squire Maxson tends toward timidity, which is the main reason his mother sent him to the Citadel."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide/Wasteland Census)