After the fall of the Master, the Brotherhood of Steel used airships to travel east, to locate and assess the extent of the remaining Super Mutant threat. Qhile crossing the mountains, a storm broke the main airship and blew it far off course. The ship suffered severe damage, with smaller sections torn loose from the main craft. The damage caused by the storm also claimed many of the leaders, including Paladin Latham.
One of the airships was able to stay airborne, reaching the Chicago area before crashing. Those who had lasted through both storm and the crash landing formed a new Brotherhood of Steel group. The wrecked airship is found near Osceolla.
The Brotherhood once built an entire fleet of airships less advanced than the Prydwen on the West Coast. Some within the Brotherhood believe they were either destroyed fighting super mutant remnants after the fall of the Unity or dismantled for parts and materials. It is rumored that one crashed on an expedition somewhere in the Midwest.
Fallout TV Series
- The Prydwen, an airship seen operated by the Brotherhood of Steel in the Commonwealth.
- An unnamed airship crashed somewhere in the Midwest.
- One of the wrecked airships can be found near the area later known as Osceolla.
Airship as seen in the Fallout Tactics intro
Airship struck by lightning, downed near Chicago
The wrecked airship in Osceolla
The Prydwen in the Fallout 4 trailer
Fallout Tactics concept art by Tariq Raheem
- Fallout Tactics intro: "Super mutants, the foot soldiers of a conquered army, had been forced into retreat across the mountainous barrier to the east. The Brotherhood constructed airships and dispatched the minority to track down and assess the extent of the remaining super mutant threat."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "But disaster struck while crossing the great mountains. A great storm broke the main airship and flung it far from its course. The mighty ship was badly damaged. The smaller sections were torn from the main craft, never to be seen again. Many of the expedition`s leaders were lost to the winds."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "The fraction of the crew that still survived, struggled to keep their ship aloft before finally crashing on the outskirts of a once thriving metropolis. A city once called "Chicago". Broken, scattered and scarred. They took stock of the situation and once again squared their shoulders to the task ahead."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "Separated by distance and ideology from the main Brotherhood forces. The minority was free to forge a new "Brotherhood of Steel". One that reflected the ideals they had strived for all along."
- The Sole Survivor: "Did the Brotherhood ever build other airships?"
Kells: " "
- Brotherhood Soldier 1:"I still can't believe I was posted to the Prydwen. I mean, look at her... she's one of a kind."
Brotherhood Soldier 2: "Actually, the Brotherhood of Steel had a whole fleet of these things at one time. They weren't as advanced as the Prydwen, mind you... but seeing them fill the sky must have been an impressive sight."
Brotherhood Soldier 1: "Are you kidding me? What happened to them?"
Brotherhood Soldier 2: "Not sure, really. Most of them were destroyed fighting Super Mutants or scuttled for parts. I think one of them crash landed somewhere in the Midwest. I heard that the wreckage is still there."
Brotherhood Soldier 1: "Wow... I had no idea."
(Brotherhood Soldier (Fallout 4)/Dialogue)