|For the variant appearing in the Fallout 4 add-on Far Harbor, see .45-70.|
A powerful, .45 caliber, late 19th-century era black powder rifle round, .45-70 Gov't (Government) rounds are one of the rarer types of ammunition found in the Mojave Wasteland. However, especially at higher levels, they can be bought in decent quantities from some merchants.
Standard and SWC .45-70 Gov't rounds can be crafted at a reloading bench. A single cartridge requires the following ingredients:
Powder, rifle (4)
.45-70 Gov't (1)
Powder, rifle (5)
Hand Loader (1)
.45-70 SWC (1)
Breaking down a standard .45-70 round yields:
.45-70 Gov't (1)
Powder, rifle (3)
Weapons using this ammunition
.45-70 Gov't, hollow point
Hollow point bullets mushroom or fragment on impact, causing massive trauma to unarmored targets, similar to those of buckshot. However, since the bullet loses almost all of its energy upon contact, it will hardly be able to penetrate armored targets. Certain weapons such as the Medicine Stick, combined with 100 Guns skill, as well as perks such as Cowboy, Bloody Mess and other damage boosting perks can result in the total damage exceeding the 3x DT multiplier of these bullets.
.45-70 Gov't, SWC (hand load)
Flat-nosed round designed to deal maximum damage to targets at close range by tumbling when it hits. This type of round was originally designed to shoot paper targets. This ammunition type puts a severe strain on a gun's condition due to its extremely heavy powder load. It requires the Hand Loader perk to craft.
|Ammunition type||Weapon spread modifier|
|Weapon Damage modifier||Ammo bonus effects|
|Target Damage Threshold modifier||Ammo is craftable|
|Weapon condition modifier||Percentage chance of empty casing, hull or drained cell/pack/tank|
|.45-70 Gov't, standard||x 1||x 1||x 1||x 1||35% chance|
|.45-70 Gov't, SWC (hand load)||x 1.2||- 6||x 3||x 1||20% chance|
|.45-70 Gov't, hollow point||x 1.75||x 3||x 1||x 1||35% chance|
- Can be pickpocketed from NCR Rangers and NCR Veteran Rangers.
- Can be purchased from Alexander underneath the 188 Trading Post overpass.
- Can be found on several members of the Great Khans in Red Rock Canyon.
- Can be bought from the Vendortron at the Gun Runners kiosk.
- Knight Torres may sell normal variants ammunition in stock at the Hidden Valley Bunker.
- A fairly large amount of this ammunition can be found in the Legion supply cache during the Caesar's Favor quest.
- Around 400-600 rounds can be purchased from Quartermaster Bardon at the Hoover Dam Offices.
- Can be purchased from the Great Khan armorer at the Great Khan armory.
- Can be purchased from Mick at Mick & Ralph's at higher levels.
- Can be purchased from Blake from the Crimson Caravan Company.
- Can be found in the NCR Ranger safehouse.
- Several rounds can be found in the underwater Lake Mead Cave.
- A couple rounds can be found on Legionary assassins carrying the brush gun.
- lobotomites at higher levels. Can be acquired from
If one looks closely at the headstamp on the cartridge model, it reads ".357 Magnum".
.45-70 Gov't bullet compared to a .22LR bullet